Friday, October 9, 2015

Operation Christmas Child: journal making

I am having a workshop on Saturday, October 24th at my home to create journals to be put in the shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child.  If you are unfamiliar with the organization, which prepares shoeboxes full of Christmas gifts and the gospel message for children around the world, I encourage you to look at the website.  We will begin at 10:00 a.m. and finish at 5:00 p.m.  Due to the limitations of our driveway, you will need to confirm with me that you are coming. You'll want to pack a lunch, or make plans to eat out.  Those who would like to make a personal journal will be asked to make a donation to cover the expenses of adhesives and coils.  I'll have tons of wallpaper samples on hand to choose from.

We make a number of different sizes of journals, 3" x 2.75" (or something like that!) to roughly 4" x 6".  We even make a few funky sizes.  These come from larger size journal cardstock scraps ... I don't like to waste anything.  I also discovered the concept of journal necklaces, which are a lot of fun to make! Here are a few of the journals that have been made in the past, and the journal necklace:



I have lots of metal brads, but could use some fun decorative buttons, flowers, and other embellishments to add to what I have to dress up the journals.  I also am looking for people willing to cut cardstock pieces for the journal necklaces, and to punch the edges of the cardstock and paper for the larger journals, in advance of the workshop.  Also, if we can have some covers done in advance, then while new covers are curing, we can be decorating the pre-made covers. Please let me know if you would like to help.

The shoe boxes are packed by gender and ages; these will go to 9 to 14 year olds; as even the larger journals are on the small side, and little children have not necessarily developed the fine motor skills for small print or coloring, the older age seems more appropriate.

Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

Velda said...

Good luck. I hope you post photos of the finished product. Wish I could be there to help.