Friday, November 9, 2007

"It is well with my soul" journal


I was waiting for the SALT challenge this week to decide how to design my next journal. I love the theme, "From the Hymnbook", and did not need to think at all about which hymn I would choose. I love the lyrics, by Horatio Spafford, and the inspiring medley, composed by Philip Bliss. This is my first real attempt at collage, and while I was not satisfied even before permanently attaching everything, I finally realized I just don't know what I'm doing yet, but as I continue studying the techniques of others, I'll figure it out! :-) I like "space" in my designs, my favorite cards on many blogs will be ones that are simpler and not full of images, so perhaps that's why collage is such a challenge to me, lol!


The sheet music is from Stubby Stampers, the music notes from Merry Stamper, the cross, Peace, and "river" design are from Eureka. The bottom half looks blurred, due to the imbalance the "nails" created in the scanner.


Inside the back cover I posted the story of the author, Horatio Spafford. It's a truly amazing story if you do not already know it.

9 comments:

Hazel said...

Such a beautiful hymn you have chosen to inspire us with your journal - thanks for taking part in the Salt challenge.

Trish D said...

Ooh, this is my favorite hymn, too... all the more precious when you know the story behind it. Not sure whether I could have said the same thing in his shoes.

Anyway, love the journal! Collage is hard for me, too, but I've discovered I enjoy the challenge.

I haven't been able to play along the past couple times with the Salt challenge, but I'm really hoping to find some time this week!

Sarosa said...

Yes, amazing. I am absolutely not a weepy person, but I have to admit, working on this journal was hard, as I kept googling the Spaffords. Part of my collage, where I have the actual ship sinking & the chicago fire, was going to be a torn copy of the telegram his wife sent. It starts out "Saved alone. What shall I do?" I finally decided that it would just ruin the pleasure of the user of the journal. The ship and the fire are in a way, generic reminders that tragedy exists. The telegram was just too personal.

morningDove said...

Beautiful piece for someone who feels they don't know what they are doing. I, too, feel the way you do about collaging. I am realizing I like clean lines and uncluttered looks or as you said I am developing. thank you for sharing, morningDove

artfulstampin said...

I love that hymn too, thank you for joining in and sharing, sorry I'm a bit behind on looking in on your contribution.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I can’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me, please :)

Sarosa said...

I'm sorry, I have never done that, so I have no idea! :-(

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.