Thursday, April 9, 2009

From grief to Joy


Some months back I shared on here that I'd been thinking about the scripture "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted." It said to me that even grief is a blessing because of His comfort.

With Good Friday and Easter arriving, I am reminded of that scripture again. The grief the disciples and others who loved Jesus had to be the most excruciating grief imaginable, but oh, what an unbelievable comfort - more than comfort, inexpressible joy - they experienced at the resurrection!

We cannot relate to their experience, though ... not understanding the resurrection was yet to come, they had no hope of comfort. No matter how serious I contemplate the cross, in my deepest understanding of the grief of his death - for my sake, even - deep within my heart beats the cry of "BUT HE ROSE AGAIN!"

Amen.

See you Monday.

3 comments:

Joyce across the Pond said...

Thank you for these 'Good' Friday thoughts...we've just come from church where we listened to some wonderful thoughts also - about being holy....1 Peter 1 from verse 13 - I think to verse 18. May you await Easter morning and experience the joy of the risen Lord yet again.

Hazel said...

Thanks for linking to our Salt challenge, Sarah - your card is lovely - and, yes, how devastating it must have been for the disciples and others at the time of the crucifixion, who didn't have the marvellous knowledge of Easter day that we now have. Happy Easter. x

NinaB said...

Amen! Thanks for such an encouraging post. I found your blog thru the SALT challenge. I count it an enormous blessing to know that no matter how much grief or sorrow we may face in this world, as a believer, I would count it as nothing compared to what is to come - glory in Heaven and perfect communion with the Risen and Incomparable Christ!