Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Every two weeks, smARTworks puts up a challenge on their website. This time it was a monochromatic challenge. I thought about several colors, but blue won out. I purchased a set of leaves well over a year ago (yes, you’re looking at an actual leaf, or I should say, a layer of a leaf), but I kept waiting for just the right card for one. I think I might of ended up waiting ten years to use any; it’s hard for me to use something I don’t plan to replace. In fact … I had all but forgotten I had them.
I used Cobalt Embossing Antiquities powder, from a line of embossing powders that have been discontinued for quite some time. I think the Tim Holtz powders are very similar.
I used a microsparkle blue for the upper part of the card, and although you cannot really see it in the photo, it really displays the veins of the leaf nicely. The Ruche crepe paper seems to mimic a leaf texture.
I haven’t actually attached the leaf yet … I planned to use a spray adhesive on the back of it, but decided I needed to find out if that is definitely the right thing to use for the leaf. I’ll post back here later when I’ve figured it out.
Edit: I asked my friends at Gingerwood, and they recommended just gluing the spine of the leaf down, so that's what I did. :-)